With 5 weeks to go on this 52 week journey, I thought I’d share 5 thoughts on why connection will change the world.
- We are all connected – As diverse and divided as our world is, we all have one thing in common. We had nothing to do with where, when and to whom we were born. Sit with that for a second. This doesn’t mean the hands we are dealt are even, but it should make us realize that it’s what you do with your cards that is in your control. If we look to one another to support and grow as we move throughout the game of life, we will realize that we are more alike than different.
- There is no us vs. them – One of my favorite quotes from Brené Brown’s Braving the Wilderness is “It’s hard to hate people up close.” The sooner we realize that at the core of our existence we all seek happiness and love, perhaps we will come together to create solutions to our world’s biggest problems instead of continuing to pull ourselves apart.
- We are wired for connection – Social science has proven this over and over. From Maslow’s hierarchy of needs to Julianne Holt-Lundstead’s research on social isolation, it’s scientific fact that humans are social creatures. Even the strongest of introverts needs human connection. Let’s live in connection, the way we were created to be.
- We all have a story – In a time when awareness of unconscious bias is growing, allowing others to tell their own stories is imperative. When we allow the person we are placing judgement on – whether unconsciously or consciously – to tell their own story, we connect in the most authentic way possible. Share your story and allow others to share theirs.
- We are all in this together – Because we have the ability to connect to nearly anyone, anywhere in the world, we have the ability to work together to solve the great issues of our time. I often wonder what the world would look like if all of the effort put into cheating, scheming and illegal activity were channeled for higher purposes. Putting ego and power aside, we can raise the consciousness of the world.
These are big statements. Whether you agree 100% or 0%, the one thing that cannot be denied is the power of “we”. No matter where you’ve come from in life and where you’ve gotten, you didn’t get there 100% by yourself. You might be self-made, but a connection with others likely played a role in this success.
What are 5 reasons you think connection could change the world? Help me build this list!
Are you struggling to believe in any of these 5? I work with my coaching clients to understand what beliefs are getting in the way from accepting these truths. It’s ok to start with yourself and work out from there. If you are ready to make this type of investment in yourself, reach out to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
52 Weeks of Meaningful Connections is offered by Small Town Leadership. If you would like to see how much progress you can make toward making our big world feel like a smaller place, SIGN UP to receive these articles on a weekly basis.